If you run a machine all the time without maintenance, it burns out. Likewise if you run your business all the time without recharging, you’ll burn out. Balancing work with recharging is one of the most important keys to effectiveness and success in business.
There’s more to achieving this balance than just getting enough sleep, although that is very important. To learn some of the newest and most effective tips to balance your life and enjoy greater success, read on:
- Sleep Matters – Maybe when you were younger you could pull all-nighters or stay up past midnight and be fine the next day. But as you age, enough regular sleep is extremely important. Arianna Huffington, energetic leader of the Huffington Post, has become a huge advocate of getting about 8 hours of sleep a night after she collapsed in exhaustion from lack of sleep. Sleep needs vary from person to person, but this is Rule #1 for recharging each day.
- Take A Vacation – Taking time away from work, ideally a week or longer, can do wonders to recharge your energies for months to come. Many small business owners just don’t take vacation because they feel they can’t afford it. However in the long run vacation gives you valuable time to think and fresh insights into how to enjoy life and business more. Be sure you don’t program your vacation days too much so it’s like work! Kick back, relax, get extra sleep, and let your mind enjoy a deep rejuvenation.
- Take Frequent Breaks – Recent research has found that the human brain works best in 25-minute parts. It’s called the Pomodoro Technique because people who really put this into practice used a kitchen timer that looks like a tomato (“pomodoro” is Italian for “tomato”). You can now get an app for your smartphone that will tick away and help you develop this great habit. If you can’t stop every 25 minutes, at least take a 10-minute break every hour. Let your workers do the same and they’ll be more productive too!
- Eat Right – Healthy meals three times a day will help you sustain your energy levels throughout the day. Minimize high-carb snacks like cookies, candy or sugary colas. Maximize healthy protein, fruit and vegetables. Keep hydrated with lots of water. Nothing new here – it’s just a part of a balanced work-life-style that goes with the other tips on this page.
- Exercise Daily – It’s been proven that regular exercise burns away stress-related chemicals in the body and builds up energy resources to help you feel better and even sleep better at night. A brisk walk around the block is a lot better than sitting on your behind all day. Recent research has found that too much sit-time can really be damaging to your blood system and overall health. If it’s too hot or cold outside, join a local gym or Y so you can make daily exercise a regular habit. Seeing others exercising in the same place can also be motivating.
A healthy you can help create and sustain a healthy business. Start these 5 positive habits today!